This course helps you to understand why we feel as we do and notice unhelpful thoughts. We can learn to embrace our thoughts and feelings rather than fighting them or feeling guilty about them.
What is involved?
Taking Control consists of 6 sessions over 6 weeks, it incorporates the components of a therapy called Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT for short). The course is for anyone who struggles with depression, anxiety, low mood, racing thoughts and just a general struggle with life events.
A good example of how ACT works is; If you say “I want to change, BUT I am too anxious.” The view of ACT would be to say “You want to change AND you are anxious about it.” This subtle but very powerful change is the essence of Acceptance and Commitment Therapy. It proposes that a person can take action without first changing or removing the feelings.
Over the 6 weeks, we will look at the 6 components that make up Acceptance and Commitment Therapy in-depth, these are;
- Defusion (Developing the skill to let go of unhelpful thinking)
- Acceptance (Being able to acknowledge what has or is happening)
- Contact with the present moment (This is a mindfulness skill to focus on the present which is the only reality we truly have)
- The Observing Self (Learning to be aware of the life story about ourselves we create and then believe it all)
- Values (These are like a compass that create a direction we which to go in life)
- Committed action (Being able to bring action into your life rather than just thinking about it)
We use a selection of videos and open discussions in a safe and non-judgemental environment to reinforce the subject matter of the course.
Who is it for?
The course is for anyone who struggles with depression, anxiety, low mood, racing thoughts and just a general struggle with life events.
When is it?
Monday 6th March 2023
2.00pm – 4.00pm
For 6 weeks.
18 – 20 York Place
Perth PH2 8EH
This course is completely FREE!